Monday, February 6, 2012

Wikis- Great Tools for Teaching and Learning

I love wikis. I love having a classroom space where I can post resources, links, tools, student projects, and have a conversation with my students. I love that my students have access to this space 24/7 and, if I give them the power to do so, they can edit and add to this workspace as well. All of this happens with a free wiki account. Wikispaces and PB Works are two of my favorites. They offer safe secure work spaces for educators.  Each is as easy to use as familiar word processing programs.

There are also many wikis out there created to share resources with fellow educators.  The two examples below were awarded best educational wiki and runner-up, respectively, at the 2011 Edublog Awards. 
ICT Magic- This is a great resource for tips and tools related to educational technology.
Resources for History Teachers- Maintained by teachers and students who are part of the History Teacher Education Program in the School of Education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, this wiki hosts a plethora of resources related to teaching history at all levels.

Here are a few other noteable wikis that I love:
Cool Tools for Schools- If you are searching for the latest Web 2.0 tools to use with students, this is the place to browse.  A comprehensive list of tools is arranged by type.
Educational Origami Wiki- A great wiki about teaching in the 21st century with tools, tips, and strategies galore.
WebTools4u2use-  Another great list of Web 2.0 tools and applications for the 21st century classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment